[MidoNet-dev] MidoNet API versioning

Ishimoto, Ryu ryu at midokura.com
Sun Feb 3 02:29:32 UTC 2013

On Sun, Feb 3, 2013 at 10:12 AM, Jacob Mandelson <jlm at midokura.com> wrote:

> As an aside, I think we should assume the open sourcing is still a go, and
> so not have MidoNet design discussion on the alway-to-be-internal
> dev at midokura.com but instead on midonet-dev at lists.midonet.org.

Moving this discussion over to miodnet-dev.

> This is my preference, because for a client which supports both ver. 1 and
> 2 APIs (or 2 and 3, ...) it can specify them both in the Accepts: header
> and let the server provide the greatest version it supports, meaning we
> don't have to update in lockstep, but can have (for example) clients which
> support v3 only alongside v2-only with a server which supports both v2 and
> v3, or the other way around.  With the versioned URL approach, we'd have to
> have each client support 1 and only 1 API version, and thus we're forced to
> have a server that must bear all the burden of supporting every version
> used by every client it serves.

Didn't think of the multiple accept header use case.  It certainly sounds
like a useful feature to have.  The client is telling the server which
versions it is capable of handling, and the server would just respond with
the newest one.  I will have to check how the Jersey framework currently
handles requests with multiple Accept headers, but this versioning model
should make this possible.

I've added a GitHub issue https://github.com/midokura/midonet/issues/508 for
this.  Will get to it after the current midonet-api package path change is
completed.

Thanks,
Ryu