[MidoNet-dev] population of the Mac-learning table - api proposal

Dan Mihai Dumitriu dan at midokura.com
Wed Feb 20 01:21:45 UTC 2013

On Tuesday, February 19, 2013 at 9:25 PM, Rossella Sblendido wrote:

 Hi Joe,

thanks for chiming in, we do need to know the integration perspective!
My comments inline...

On 2/19/13 10:34 AM, Mills, Joseph wrote:

Hi Rosella, Pino,

 I know I am late to the game (sorry!), but I just wanted to chime in from
an integration perspective. Some comments:

 PUTs:
In the cloudstack integration, it is obvious where the changes would go.
Just POST when we prepare() the NIC, and DELETE when we release() the NIC.
Though I can't think of a scenario where a PUT would be used. If I
understand correctly, this would be a case of changing the port ID
associated with a given MAC address. Maybe this is not needed?

I'm not so familiar with CloudStack anyway a good case for a PUT would be
VM migration....the MAC stays the same but the port ID changes.

Actually, when migrating the port does NOT change. Only the mapping of
vport to host changes.

 Checking errors:
If we are trying to POST something where the MAC already exists, this means
we are allocating ports to MACs incorrectly. Is there any way to verify
that we aren't double-assigning besides looping through all the mac entries?

We can return an error, we can verify internally if the MAC has already
been allocated and return an error.

 Idempotent DELETEs:
If we try a DELETE on a mac/port that has already been DELETED, will that
return an error, or just return success?

We can discuss this but I think DELETE when the entry is not there should
return success. We should return an error when we tried to delete an entry
and we didn't succeed.

 No flooding on bridges:
 Regarding Pino's suggestion to completely eliminate flooding on the
bridge, adding extra rules to stop BCAST and MCAST may not be necessary
(though I may just not know enough to think of a case where it is needed).
In the integration code, we would create and delete mac/port entries
strictly when we create and destroy NICs. So there should not be any VM
hooked up to the bridge that does not have a permanent entry installed. Is
there a case where the bridge will know all the mac/port mappings of the
VMs attached but still send out BCAST/MCAST? Or was this in expectation of
someone hooking up a VM outside of the integration code?

 If the MacLearningTable of the bridge is updated through the api, we don't
need broadcast for arp anymore. That's why we can filter BCAST MCAST coming
from the VMs. This is good because it's more efficient and more secure. We
can prevent malicious packets (e.g. arp poisoning) from entering the
network.

 Thanks,
Joe