[MidoNet] [MidoNet-dev] [MidoNet-user] Slack vs IRC

Tomohiko Kimura tomohiko at midokura.com
Wed Aug 5 03:49:14 UTC 2015

Hello there,

I suggest that we make a decision based on data instead of "this is what I
think I/other people would do", etc.

- If we see more participations from external contributors after the
migration to Slack, that seems to me a big plus. But we've gotta be careful
in judging if it's due to the migration to Slack, or actually due to us
becoming more known.

- It sounds too optimistic to me to think that switching back to IRC would
dramatically reduce the entry bar to near 0.

So, in the worst case, why don't we run both Slack and IRC for a limited
period of time, say 3 to 6 months? For sure that'll be added complexity /
maintenance cost, but it seems like worth paying if migration to IRC really
helps grow our OS community.

My 2 cents,
Tomohiko