[MidoNet] [MidoNet-dev] [MidoNet-user] Slack vs IRC

Sandro Mathys sandro at midokura.com
Wed Aug 5 06:14:06 UTC 2015

On Wed, Aug 5, 2015 at 12:49 PM, Tomohiko Kimura <tomohiko at midokura.com> wrote:
> Hello there,
>
> I suggest that we make a decision based on data instead of "this is what I
> think I/other people would do", etc.

The discussion is also hardly making any progress as neither party
seems to budge. So maybe it really is time to think of other ways to
settle this debate.

> - If we see more participations from external contributors after the
> migration to Slack, that seems to me a big plus. But we've gotta be careful
> in judging if it's due to the migration to Slack, or actually due to us
> becoming more known.

As far as I understood, the concern was rather that a number of
Midokura developers were not active on IRC but are now active on Slack
- and that they would again not join us on IRC.

The number of active non-Midokura contributors remains small and I
don't think we have data to show the difference of the move in
numbers.

Also, this decision won't only affect contributors but also users.

> - It sounds too optimistic to me to think that switching back to IRC would
> dramatically reduce the entry bar to near 0.
>
> So, in the worst case, why don't we run both Slack and IRC for a limited
> period of time, say 3 to 6 months? For sure that'll be added complexity /
> maintenance cost, but it seems like worth paying if migration to IRC really
> helps grow our OS community.

Interesting idea but let's be realistic. It might be possible to
accommodate users on both at some extra cost but splitting up
developers would be very inefficient. So we would still have to decide
on where development related communication is supposed to happen. We
also can't do meetings on both at the same time. Or promote both
equally.

So maybe we should start a poll and invite all mailing lists
subscribers and Slack members to it - that's currently 175 unique
email addresses (however, some seem to have registered using more than
one address). We could use Cornell University's Condorcet Internet
Voting Service [0] and send everyone a personal link/code to vote.

-- Sandro

[0] http://civs.cs.cornell.edu/