[MidoNet] [MidoNet-user] [MidoNet-dev] Slack vs IRC

Brandon Berg bberg at midokura.com
Mon Aug 17 10:51:24 UTC 2015

I'll go along with whatever the consensus is about what's best for the
community, but personally I prefer Slack. IRC is another set of
commands to remember, and another tab I have to keep track of in my
already-overcrowded shell window. Unless I'm just using the wrong
client, it doesn't have Jira integration, doesn't have clickable
links, and all in all is, for me at least, more of a hassle and
imposes additional mental load that would be better spent on doing
actual work. It also doesn't have built-in archiving, so I have to go
to another site for that.

Slack just works the way I expect, and I can keep it pinned in a
browser window so that it's always exactly where I expect it to be.

I guess this is partly status-quo bias and/or my not knowing the best
way to use IRC, since the IRC guys are saying some of the same things
about IRC, but for me, Slack is preferable to IRC in every way.